John Staley joins MMCo’s Executive Coaching Team with 15 years of experience in assisting executives to hone their presentation and public speaking skills. Combining extensive training in voice, speech and body language with professional experience as a stage and screen actor and producer, John has keen insight into the dynamics of effective speaking before groups of all sizes. His background as an educator and engaging, uplifting coaching style make John a favorite with corporate clients!
As an accomplished public speaker, John has delivered dozens of keynote presentations for professional organizations across the country. He has designed and conducted training for both small businesses and Fortune 500 companies in the areas of interpersonal communications and formal presentation skills. In 2003, John established The Lawyer’s Performance Lab consulting services to provide training and coaching in court room presentation techniques and trial advocacy skills to civil and criminal attorneys. Growing out of the Lab’s excellent reputation, in 2005 the Southwestern Law School (Los Angeles) engaged John for a semester as Guest Lecturer.
Currently, John is a Certified Executive Coach (CEC) and active member of the Association for Talent Development (ATD), The International Coach Federation (ICF), and the Screen Actors Guild (SAG). Having received his B.A. in Theater Arts/Communication from the Univ. of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, he later earned his M.F.A. in Acting from the Univ. of California-San Diego, where he was awarded an Artsbridge Scholarship to introduce theater arts into Southern California schools. In keeping with his life-long commitment to connecting young people to the performing arts, John is the Founding Academy Director of the highly-regarded Los Angeles Academy of the Performing Arts. He also mentors at Covenant House (Hollywood), coaching young adults to develop life and career skills.
Having been a stage and film producer, entrepreneur and business owner, John keenly appreciates the value of “down time” for individuals in active leadership roles! To recharge in his own personal time, John enjoys working out, writing screenplays, and spending quality time with his 10-year-old son.
As an MMCo Executive Coach, John’s areas of specialty include the following:
Presentation Skills for Executives
- Drafting and Refining Your Script – Crafting an impactful and memorable presentation
- “Staging” Your Presentation – Rehearsing physical aspects (movement, gestures, eye contact, facial expression) to match your message and fit your forum/venue
- Bringing “You” into Your Presentation – Establishing a powerful connection with your audience by bringing your heart and essence into the material
- Using “The Butterflies” – How to redirect presentation nervousness into vibrant presentation energy and a sense of greater ease – even fun!
Voice Work Coaching
- Vocal Dynamics – Refining pace, pitch and volume
- Speech Clarity – Enhancing diction and pronunciation
- Working with Accents – When, where and how to adjust speech patterns to better fit the preferences of others (your listeners and audiences)